International Journal of Medical and Health Research

International Journal of Medical and Health Research


ISSN: 2454-9142

Vol. 3, Issue 11 (2017)

A study to assess the prevalence of malnutrition among under 5 year children at selected Anganwadi centres of Jaipur district with a view to develop an information booklet for parents

Author(s): Yadav A, Dixit A
Abstract: Background: Malnutrition is the greatest single threat to global public health and biggest contributor to child mortality, responsible for nearly half of all deaths of children under 5 years of age as per GLOBAL nutrition report 2016. Method: A quantitative descriptive research approach was adapted for the study. The research tool develop to collect the data was strictly based on W.H.O growth standard for identification of malnutrition. Total enumeration sampling technique was used to select 100 samples of under 5 year age children at the six selected Anganwadi centers of Jaipur district. Result: The major findings of the study were that majority of the children i.e. 42% were found to be moderately malnourished whereas 9 % children were severely malnourished. Overall mean prevalence of malnutrition was found to be 51 %. Interpretation and conclusion: Almost half of under five children were underweight. Gender inequality, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, number of child births, poor knowledge among the parents had greater impact on nutritional status of child.
Pages: 78-79  |  1814 Views  1372 Downloads

Click
Here

International Journal of Medical and Health Research
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals
Please use another browser.