International Journal of Medical and Health Research

International Journal of Medical and Health Research


ISSN: 2454-9142

Vol. 4, Issue 10 (2018)

Epidemiological trends of cancer morbidity at a new tertiary care Gurgaon, hospital, India

Author(s): Brij Bhushan Tyagi, Narendra Kumar Bhardwaj, Vinod Raina
Abstract:
Background: Globally, 32.5 million people diagnosed with cancer in last 5 years, were alive at the end of 2012. Annually 14.1 million new cancer cases and 8.2 million cancer deaths are recorded throughout the world, with nearly 70% in the developing countries.
Aim: The aim of this study is to review the cancer morbidities by age, sex, cancer sites and nationalities in Fortis Memorial Research Institute (FMRI), Gurugram Haryana from January 2013 to December 2016.
Materials and Methods: This is a retrospective study of histologically confirmed cases of all cancers reported / treated at FMRI. Data was collected from various departments dealing in cancer care viz- Medical Oncology and Hematology, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Pediatrics Hematology Oncology, Obstetrics & Gynecology Oncology, Neurosurgery, Nuclear Medicine, Radio Diagnosis and Pathology. Medical Records of cancer patients were reviewed and relevant information on diagnosis, primary site and demographic data was retrieved. All the recorded data was entered in Microsoft Excel Data Sheet. This was analyzed using SPSS 16.0 (SPSS Inc.).
Results: During the study periods a total of 63,735 cancer visits were captured from all departments, of these 52,915 (83.0%) were duplications /multiplications visits and non-malignant (benign/in-situ) and remaining 10,820 (17.0%) were new cancer cases. Out of the 10,820 new cases registered, males were 5,923 (54.7%) and females were 4,897 (45.3%) with a sex ratio of 827 females to 1000 males. A statistically significant association was seen among Indian cases and other countries cases. Most common malignancies were breast (13.2%) followed by brain & nervous system (8.8%), prostate (7.5%), lung (5.2%), Non-hodgkin’s lymphoma (5.0%), ovary (3.6%), corpus uteri (2.8%), stomach (2.7%), thyroid (2.6%), colon(2.6%), bladder (2.5%), cervix (2.4%), mouth (2.4%), kidney (2.1%) and liver (2.1%).
Conclusions: There is scope and need for integrating other government hospitals, existing private health service providers and research institutions across the state for better planning of cancer control program.
Pages: 103-112  |  354 Views  224 Downloads

Click
Here

International Journal of Medical and Health Research
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals
Please use another browser.