International Journal of Medical and Health Research

International Journal of Medical and Health Research


International Journal of Medical and Health Research
International Journal of Medical and Health Research
Vol. 5, Issue 9 (2019)

Survey on health indicators of selected urban slum areas of Raipur, Chhattisgarh


Ritika Rocque, Rohisha IK, Harish Kumar

Introduction: A healthy population can undoubtedly contribute to economic growth and development of a country. A survey of any area will help in identifying the socio-demographic characteristics and health condition of the people residing in the village with an aim to understand the health issues and factors affecting the health. The health of the people is an essential requirement for the accelerated economic growth of a country/state. Methods: A Structured questionnaire-based survey was conducted to identify the socio-demographic characteristics and health condition of the people residing in the urban slum with an aim to understand the health issues and factors affecting the health. The data was collected by interviewing the family members regarding the information of the family and each family member to collect individual data during home visit. Results: Majority of respondents 11.85% were belongs to under-five age group, 5.51% to schooler, 7.58% to adolescent group, 65.43% to the adult age group and 9.64% belongs to geriatric age group. 47.93% were males and the rest 52.07% were females. Majority of the samples were Hindu by religion 88.29%, 9.64% were Muslim, 1.38% were Sikh and 0.69% belonged from Christian. According to type of family, 42.50% were from nuclear family, 55% were from joint family and 2.50% were from extended family. Results of housing standards showed that 81% of the families are residing in pucca houses, 16% are in semi pucca houses and 3% in kaccha houses. Regarding educational status of the samples49.24% had primary school education, 28.03% had secondary school education, 13.64% had higher secondary school education, 7.58% had graduate education and 1.52% had post graduate education. None of them were illiterate. Survey on the description of special groups showed that samples consisted of 15.96% of antenatal mothers, 1.06% of postnatal mothers, 45.74% of Under-five children and 37.23% of Geriatric population among vulnerable group. 51.95% of eligible couples and 46.75% of target couples are present in the selected rural area. Infertile couples consist of 1.30% of the samples. The vital events occurred in the community in last one year were 21 births and 3 deaths. Surveys on the prevalence of disease conditions 132 samples were having different communicable and non-communicable diseases. Majority of them were having hypertension 22.73 and diabetes 17.42%. Other health problems prevalent in the area were anemia 11.36%, cataract 1.52%, mental illness 3.03%, osteoporosis 6.06%, gout 0.76%, arthritis 2.27%, hypothyroidism 3.79%, malaria 11.36%, tuberculosis 1.52%, filariasis 0.76, diarrhea 2.27% and asthma 2.27%. The major substance abuse present among the samples was alcoholism and pan chewing 11.36%.
Pages : 28-30 | 525 Views | 91 Downloads