Dental prosthetic status and prosthetic satisfaction of institutionalized elderly population in Sri Ganganagar city, Rajasthan, India
Dr Aalok Mishra, Dr Prince Kumar
Background: Both function and aesthetics are impaired with the loss of teeth. It is possible to restore both of these functions by the means of artificial dental prosthesis. Mastication and speech rehabilitation along with building up of psychological confidence is necessary for the success of prosthetic treatment. Hence; we planned the present study to assess the satisfaction of the complete denture wearers delivered in a tertiary heath care centre. Materials & methods: The present cross-sectional study included quantification of 80 denture wearing patients with the purpose of assessing the impact of these dentures on the biological, psychological and social health of the patients. For the assessment of the impact of these dentures on the patients, a questionnaire was framed using Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) which consisted of fourteen questions. Five categories were allotted to the each of the question based on the five-point Likert item scale. All the answers were collected and summarized. Statistical assessment of all the results was performed by SPSS software version 18.0.Results: Out of 80, 61.3 percent of the cases were of maxillary denture cases while remaining 38.7 percent of the cases were of mandibular denture. Out of all maxillary denture cases, 61 subjects were using their dentures whereas among mandibular denture cases, 23 cases were using dentures. More problems were found to be associated with mandibular denture wearers in comparison to the subjects wearing maxillary complete dentures. Conclusion: Quality of life of the patients receiving artificial dental prosthesis is very minimally affected by upper denture.
Dr Aalok Mishra, Dr Prince Kumar. Dental prosthetic status and prosthetic satisfaction of institutionalized elderly population in Sri Ganganagar city, Rajasthan, India. International Journal of Medical and Health Research, Volume 3, Issue 8, 2017, Pages 01-05