International Journal of Medical and Health Research

International Journal of Medical and Health Research


International Journal of Medical and Health Research
International Journal of Medical and Health Research
Vol. 5, Issue 8 (2019)

Perinatal Outcome in Eclampsia: A study in a tertiary care hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh


Dr. Jannatul Ferdous, Dr. Mohammad Mostafizur Rahman, Dr. Mahmuda Ansari, Dr. Amina Jannat Peea, Dr. Razia Khatoon

Background: Eclampsia is a major cause of maternal injury and death in developing countries like Bangladesh. Still Eclampsia appears as one of the five major causes of maternal mortality in Bangladesh, despite the incidence dropped to 0.2%-0.5% of all deliveries. Objectives: The aim of this study was to assess perinatal outcome in Eclampsia in a public hospital in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Patients and Methods: A comparative cross-sectional study, enrolled 211 samples among them 97 study population from Eclampsia unit and 114 from Gynecology & Obstetric unit in public the hospital. Results: In the study mean age of the cases and controls were 22.4 ± 4.5 and 24.0 ± 4.9 years respectively. The lowest and highest ages of cases and controls ranged from 17– 38 and 17– 42 years respectively. Study showed that among perinatal outcome 211, Eighty Four (84.47%) were live birth, 71.42% survived, 11.80% were early neonatal death (END), 15.52% were still birth (SB). Total perinatal death (END + SB) were 44 which representing 27.32% of total birth. This diagram shows that 32.56% babies out of 182 live birth had no complications in case group but 56.85 in control group. In control group 27.65% had developed neonatal jaundice but 26.5% in case group, 20.54% had developed septicemia in case group nut 18.56% in control group, 16.91% had respiratory distress in case group but 14.56% in control group. Six (6.25%) suffered from neonatal convulsion in case group but only 1.25% in control group. Conclusion: The community should be educated regarding importance of antenatal care, especially during last trimester immediate referral to a tertiary center is necessary in all patients with morbid symptoms of pregnancy induced hypertension (P.I.H). Vigilant antenatal, intra-natal and postnatal management of all such patients will improve the maternal and perinatal outcome related to Eclampsia.
Download  |  Pages : 11-14
How to cite this article:
Dr. Jannatul Ferdous, Dr. Mohammad Mostafizur Rahman, Dr. Mahmuda Ansari, Dr. Amina Jannat Peea, Dr. Razia Khatoon. Perinatal Outcome in Eclampsia: A study in a tertiary care hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. International Journal of Medical and Health Research, Volume 5, Issue 8, 2019, Pages 11-14
International Journal of Medical and Health Research